Physical exercises play an important role in treating scoliosis. Why? Because the exercises train your muscles that in turn hold your spine in the proper position. So why swimming is so good?
Swimming is a great tool to treat scoliosis; it can even be called scoliosis swimming therapy. It is helpful due to the following facts:
- During swimming the natural training and relaxation of the spine takes place
- Your spine gets stretched proportionally and the problem zones get some really nice relief.
- The asymmetric work of intervertebral muscles gets eliminated.
- The conditions for normal growth of the vertebral bodies are restored during swimming.
- Back, limbs and abdominal muscles are properly and effectively trained.
- Swimming improves the coordination of movements.
- Swimming restores the feeling of naturally correct posture.
That is why swimming exercises for scoliosis are so important – they are seen as a therapy to eliminate scoliosis symptoms and restore the normal functioning of your spine.
Nevertheless, there are certain conditions when swimming for scoliosis is not recommended. This is true if there is a prohibition from attending pediatrician or general practitioner, dermatologist, ENT doctor or neuropsychiatrist. Also if there is spine instability with a difference of more than 10-15 ° in the angle of curvature between standing and lying position as seen on the x-ray. But in this case it can also be addresses with swimming under the guidance of an experienced person who is able to make training programs for people according to their individual needs:
- Swimming exercises and swimming style are chosen strictly individually based on the type of scoliosis, the extent of changes to the spine in the sagittal plane and concomitant diseases of other organs;
- Special attention should be paid to the proper breathing.
- With the consideration of bad coordination in patients with scoliosis, the elements of each exercise should be pre-practiced on the ground, before entering water.
- Exercises that mobilize the spine, increase its flexibility, those that rotate it around the longitudinal vertical axis of the body should be avoided.
- Any tools used for passive spine stretching should be excluded.
The main swimming style for scoliosis is Breaststroke (Brass) in the chest with a long pause slide during which the maximum spine stretching and muscles tension takes place along with minimal rotational motions of the body and the pelvis.
Crawl, butterfly and dolphin swimming styles should not be used as scoliosis swimming exercises in their pure form; but some elements of these styles can be used.
The scoliosis swimming as exercise is very effective to treat scoliosis, but as it has been stated above, it should be done properly, according to the doctor’s prescriptions and under the guidance of a professional coach.